Balcony View

Balcony View
This ain't Alabama

Sunday, August 15, 2010

of air and water

Although I've truly been jonesin' for the white sands and salt water of the Gulf Coast (first year I've not been there in several - not even sure how many), it is nice to have a body of water nearby that offers something fun or relaxing at any time.  Lake Michigan is easy walking distance, and if nothing special is going on, you can just sit and watch the boats and people....especially the people.  They come in all sizes and shapes and colors, aboard all manner of transportation, from feet to blades to bikes, segways, pedal-carts - you name it.  They come dressed in anything from full head-to-toe coverage (whether for cultural/religious or for sun protection purposes) to oh-my-lord-please-cover-that-up to why-wear-anything-at-all.  I have a couple of times just taken a towel and a book and some water and sat on the steps, watching more than reading. 

 
Throughout the summer months, there are special events along or above or on the lake.  This weekend is the annual Air and Water Show.  I don't think watching the Blue Angels could ever get old, but the typical bi-wing daredevil stunts become boring after a while.  Not discounting what they do and the skill and courage it takes, but once you've seen one loop-de-loop-de-loop, you've seen them all.  Jets, however, are fast and exciting and powerful, and make big noise.  For some reason, that always gets me in my center and I'm jealous of the thrill it must be to be behind the wheel, so to speak.  I've always had a thing for the fast and furious, although I've rarely had any actual experience. Given the opportunity, I'd probably scream my head off before losing whatever stomach contents I possessed.  If I had a bucket list, it would definitely include sky-diving and riding in a race-car, two things I would never have risked while my kids were growing up.  Now that they're on their own and don't depend on me for food and shelter, it's more of a reality.  Don't think I wouldn't.

In two weeks, another long-time dream of mine arrives on the lake - the "Tall Boats" come to Chicago.  These are all tall-masted sailboats, from sloops to majestic mammoths like the "Bounty".  In fact, the Bounty will be here - the very ship that was in the Marlon Brando version of the movie, and also in one of the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies.  When I was around 20, I saw an advertisement for a working cruise, called "Barefoot Cruises".  It was on one of these tall-masted sailboats, and you could take a cruise on one while also being part of the crew.  I don't know if they still have those, but I so badly wanted to do it then.  I'm not a huge water person, I don't swim well, and I hate for my feet to be dangling down where I can't see what's about to grab them, but I love sailing.  Maybe it's akin to my fascination with gliding and hot-air balloons - working with the forces of nature to soundlessly (or almost) be propelled along the water or in the sky, like a bird or dolphin, riding the wind and waves.

If I were the type, I'd say "in a former life I must have been a bird".  I really think, though, that I view being in the sky or on deep water as a means of being away from the noise and stress and worries of everyday life here on the ground.  It's a way to still your mind and just take in the world as it was at the beginning of time.  And maybe how it will be when you finally quit this earth and become one with nature for good.

Yes, I realize the contrast between "fast and furious" and "calm and silent", but we all are really made up of opposite ends of the spectrum, and live our daily lives somewhere in the middle.  If we're honest with ourselves, we are always longing for the extreme of one end or the other, and we rarely allow ourselves either.  We should.  We should take every advantage to "live life to the fullest" - and what does that mean but working both ends?

No comments:

Post a Comment