Balcony View

Balcony View
This ain't Alabama

Saturday, September 18, 2010

g'mama

Seth and Christine came to visit last weekend.  It was the first time Tine had been to Chicago other than flying through on her way to some other place.  From O'Hare it's not easy to get a feel for the city other than the crowd of tourists and how far you can walk and still be in the same place.

While they were here we had a great time - it rained a little Saturday morning (which didn't dampen the bacon waffle), but by mid-afternoon, the sun was out and we were at Oktoberfest in Lincoln Square.  Tine felt right at home and was thrilled to find traditional German food like her mom makes.  We got little German flags and watched the parade of German-Americans and local school marching bands.  Mayor Daley, who had just that week announced his retirement, was on hand.  It was a small, but friendly, festival.

On our way back to the city, we stopped off in Lincoln Park and walked to the Zoo, which was another thing that Tine wanted to see.  It was late, so some of the indoor facilities were closing, but luckily the animals had moved outdoors to enjoy the coolish weather.  We got a good view of the lions, and the female put on a show by coming to the edge of their enclosure and stalking back and forth while letting out an occasional low growl.  It was as though she was posing for the photographers in the group of onlookers.

The apes were fun as usual, and the lone seal was huge and sleek, and the zebra went into hiding just as we walked up.  I think we got the most fun, however, from watching the polar bear.  He would swim 'round and 'round in his pond, gliding along and occasionally kicking off the wall with his huge paw.  Obviously a ham, he swam straight up to the glass viewing window below the surface of the water, and pressed his nose right up to the glass as if for pictures.  Then he would turn, kick off, and circle back to face the glass again.  I half expected to see him climb out and open a bottle of Coke.

Leaving Lincoln Park, we headed back to the house to clean up for dinner.  I didn't tell them where we were going, but walked them to the end of the block and back to a restaurant right next door to my building.  Blue 13 was all it was cracked up to be - small and funky, rock music playing but not too loud, tatoo'd staff completely attentive and knowledgeable, and divine fare.  I've never seen a pork chop that big, or tasted one that melted in your mouth like a kobe filet.  Tine's quail was very slightly gamey and very flavorable, and my steak medallions were tender and tasty.  Dessert was heavenly.

Being stuffed and happy, we walked it off at Navy Pier, taking in the carnival atmosphere then cabbing it back to the house.  Sunday was tourist day.  I drove them around Oak Park looking at the beautiful old houses and quaint shops, then headed back to town to do the tower.  Luckily it was a beautifully clear day and the line was short.  I still couldn't make my feet take me into the glass observation boxes, though.  My stomach turns upside down just thinking about it.  Seth would live there, I think, but Christine was more like me.  She did close her eyes and let Seth pull her out for a picture.  You can see the hint of absolute fear in her eyes in the souvenir pic.

From there, we went to Buckingham Fountain at Grant Park which is magnificent, and over to the "bean" and Crown Fountain with the faces that spit on you, where we soaked our tired tooties for a bit.  Off to Lou Malnati's for pizza, and home to relax and catch the final episode of True Blood.  All in all a fun and packed weekend before I dropped them off at Midway early, early Monday morning.

Oh yes - - - and they brought me a present.  A huge surprise in a tiny package.  The gift that keeps on and on and on giving.  It was also very fitting, since Sunday was Grandparent's Day.  How coincidental was that, given that the trip had been planned since way before they knew they were with grandchild?  Not to mention that the due date is my father's birthday, although it's not a Friday the 13th like his.  I warned both them and Lacy/Jeff that they were not allowed to conceive before I was back in Alabama, or at least on my way.  Guess that's what I get for trying to control nature.  So I'm going to be a grandma, or as my friend Marsha (who's daughter-in-law is pregnant with twins) has come up with, g'mama.  I guess I'm g'mamalynn, since mamalynn is how many of my "adopted" children back home refer to me.

Am I surprised?  Yes!  Am I thrilled?  Hesitantly.  I think it's normal to be concerned and nervous when your children take any big step - moving out on their own, marriage, house, children.  You just want everything to be okay, and for them to handle it well - or at least better than you feel you did.  Tine is the same age as I was when Seth was born, and she is much more worldly and secure than I was.  Seth is older than his dad was, and is a little more grounded - he has a real job, and is in college, and although he still has a lot of maturing to do in some ways, I think he'll be okay.  This boy who has never taken to children much reminds me of myself in that regard - and once he takes that tiny life in his hands, he'll know what it is to love beyond bounds, more than he ever thought possible.

My life as a young mother was spent in turmoil much of the time, alone much of the time, and lost much of the time.  And somehow we all survived.  My two kids managed to grow into happy adults with full lives of their own, and that which literally did not kill me seemed to make me stronger.  My hope and dream for my first grandchild is that he or she (it's a girl, I just know it) has a full life of love and wonderful experiences, even if he/she doesn't have the benefit of growing up in a little rickety farm house in nowhere Alabama without benefit of air conditioning or carpeted floors or central heat or plentiful anything except pecans and adventures.  I'm sure that  his/her life will be almost as rich regardless.  And I know that he/she will have no shortage of love.  And that I will definitely be in Alabama next April to be among the welcoming committee.

No comments:

Post a Comment