Balcony View

Balcony View
This ain't Alabama

Monday, September 6, 2010

weagle weagle

So football season is upon us.  One of my favorite times of the year, even during a less-than-stellar season for the Auburn Tigers.  It's one of the many things about Fall that gets the blood pumping and has you feeling that something great is just around the corner.  I guess the start of any season is like that - Spring is about life renewed and fickle weather, Summer about being outdoors and enjoying the sun, Fall is beautiful colors and brilliant skies and the clash of shoulder pads; crisp air and out come the sweaters.  Winter is time for indoors and quiet reflection, catching up on hobbies, and practicing patience as you wait for Spring.

Shortly after moving from Alabama, it occurred to me that I would not be able to watch Auburn football every weekend here as I'm accustomed to.  Hopefully, I thought, I'll be able to access the games online through ESPN, or there will be a package available through Direct TV.  As September got closer, I started searching for venues that would carry at least most of the games, and I happened upon the Chicago Auburn Club.  Hallelujah.  My peeps.

I've mentioned the CAC before - I joined a group of members at the White Sox game last week to witness former Auburn football player and baseball great, Frank Thomas, have his number retired.  It was a proud and touching moment, especially to see him in his Auburn uniform on the big screen as they "slide-show'd" his baseball life.  And to share a moment like that - even though I have no allegiance to the Sox or have never seen Frank play in person - with other Auburn people was a good feeling.

Saturday was the official start of the college football season, so I trekked up to Wrigleyville to watch Auburn's first game with the group of War Eagle fans.  I had been looking forward to this for a couple of weeks and was excited to experience the game in a new way - far from Alabama and in a room filled entirely with people as enthused as myself.  My usual gameday experience is either at home watching with Seth or by myself, or at a bar with a mixture of supporters of Auburn, Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, and other schools from across the country.  Either way, I could enjoy the game (or not) while keeping an eye on other teams and sharing the excitement (or disappointment) with others, whether in person or by phone/text.

Saturday's game was indeed a different experience, and, to be honest, a little disappointing.  It was very crowded and loud, and listening to the game commentary was difficult.  Most people were focused on the game, as was evidenced by the cheers or groans, but I just didn't feel that rush of enthusiasm that I'm used to.  Maybe it was because we're all so far removed from the actuality of Auburn, or maybe because I was with people I barely know.  Maybe it's just that this time of year is intensely exciting in the state of Alabama, and here in Chicago, there's more concern over professional football than college.  Or, just maybe, it's because I would rather be sharing the moment with Seth and Lacy and the other people that I'm used to sharing it with.

I would like to have been at West End Grill, even if I did have to listen to the whoops and taunts of the Bama group.  Or at Mason's hearing Dale go on and on about how Florida will survive without Tebow.  I would like to have shared thoughts with my son on the new qb for Auburn, and how good it is to see Etheridge back in the secondary, and how well the offensive line played, even if the defense had some holes.

I would like to see SEC teams' banners on houses and flags on cars and even the Bama fans eternally decked head-to-toe in crimson everywhere they go.  Being with fans in Chicago is better than not, but there's just nothing like football in Alabama, or in the South.  Regardless of the number of Ohio State, Notre Dame, Northwestern, Illinois and Purdue fans here, there's just not that intense rivalry and camaraderie you find at home.  I'll make it through the season, but I'll be happy to catch at least a couple of games this Fall in the bosom of the SEC faithful - if only when I travel to Alabama.

1 comment:

  1. At least you can see some games and/or follow them in one of two great news papers. I faintly remember a boy from Chicago who went to work at a radio station in Fort Payne Alabama. When he asked about "White Sox" he was told that there were about 25 sock mills in the area, and "Bears" well you might see on up in Little River Canyon, or there is a little road side attraction up near Rising Fawn that had an old bear. The Fort Payne news paper did not cover any sports north of the Tenn. state line. You learn to adjust, love ya.

    ReplyDelete