Balcony View

Balcony View
This ain't Alabama

Sunday, May 9, 2010

grits ain't groceries

Woke up to a glorious morning - not a cloud to be seen - and the sign on the bank that gives time/temp says it's a balmy 42 at 6:30 a.m.  I've been invited to breakfast at Yolk, which is a fabulous, and fabulously popular, restaurant a couple of blocks over.  They have omelets that hang off the plate on both ends - and it's a big plate!  It's Mother's Day, and probably the first ever that I won't spend some time with at least one of my birthed.  But I have no doubt I'll hear from both - they're the bestest.

My first trip to a grocery store in Chicago - Jewel Osco is the "Kroger" of this fair city.  Seems there's one on every other corner, and there is luckily one a few blocks away that has......drumroll please.......a PARKING LOT in front!  Parking being at a premium in a city, this is a real find.

I loaded up on all the things one normally buys - milk, juice, frozen PF Changs Beef n Brocolli - and after paying $90 for around 6-7 plastic bags of necessities, drove back home.  I knew to expect higher prices, and yes, most things were around 20% more than in Alabama.  Happy cow milk was about the same price though.  Maybe the cows are price-fixing.

Having garage parking was one of the 2 (washer/dryer in unit being the other) requirements I demanded when looking for a house.  Okay, it's a condo, but if you can own it, I think it qualifies as a house.  Even a single-wide hand-me-down trailer qualifies as a house in some cultures, like Alabama.  So I have garage parking - heated, no less.  Living in an 18-story building means toting whatever you have from the 4th floor parking space to the elevator, and from the elevator into the "house".  I'm sure someone sells some sort of collapsible wheeled cart for this purpose that I could just store in my parking spot.  As soon as I find one, it's mine.

Life in the city is an adjustment - but for some odd reason, not so much of one.  I'm surprised at how I'm just falling right into it - traffic and all.

Time for Yolk - later!

No comments:

Post a Comment