Balcony View

Balcony View
This ain't Alabama

Monday, May 17, 2010

river rat

It was a nice, not too cool, sunny Sunday and for the first time in a week, I wasn't coughing every time I took a breath, so a walk along the river seemed in order.  It worked out great because I needed to go to a drug store (right on the way) and I'd been wanting to try Steve's Deli (right next to the drug store).  My idea was to go all the way to the lake and take a picture of the ferris wheel to send to Syd.  That was a pretty tall order (no pun intended) but no pressure - if I made it that far, okay, if not, okay.

After dropping off the 'scrips at the CVS, I ventured through the very large, very long shadow of the famous Merchandise Mart.  Yep, it's a big'un.  Across the bridge at Wells and along the river for a few blocks.  Up until now I had stayed on the side of town I was most familiar with, which is to say within 3-4 blocks of Ontario.  I've only been on the other side of the river once, and that was in a car, and I was driving, so seeing anything was impossible.  Here, I had a view of everything up close and personal.  The Trump building, the old bridges and statues, and the river itself.  Actually the river isn't much to look at, especially compared to, say, the Tennessee, but it's kinda neat to see this pathway of water running right through the mixture of old and new buildings, big and small, short and tall, shiny and...not.

It was so charming I decided to take the steps down to the "Riverwalk" which ran between each bridge.  Odd that no one else was really going that way - everyone stayed up on the street with the traffic and noise.  What a peaceful little treat, walking closer to the water with the traffic up above and to watch the cars and trains and people traveling across the bridges high over the water.  Now, I'm not sure of the reason there were not many people venturing down the steps and back up again, but I do know the reason I only did it once.  The somewhat obscured corner at the bottom of the stairs heading back up to the street obviously makes a great spot to relieve oneself, were one so inclined to need to do so.  Granted I didn't actually witness any such acts, but believe me, I know a good puddle o' pee when I smell one. And this one was quite rank.  In fact, it was one of those things that, once it gets stuck in the nose hairs, it likes to make itself at home for a while.  It took me walking briskly for about 3 blocks before I was able to breathe normally again.

Luckily, I happened upon a wonderfully eclectic shop to distract my senses for a few minutes.  It was closed, but I could have stood at the windows and stared (and drooled) for hours.  Well, at least for many minutes.  The natural wood items were definitely to drool over.  Nothing fancy - rather it was the simplicity of everything that made it so beautiful.  Tim would love it.  :)

Nevertheless, I did not make it to the lake, nor did I take any pictures.  I just made my way back to CVS, picked up some comfort food at Steve's, tucked my venturing tail and went home.  Sad, the way a puddle o' pee can just ruin a good intention.

No comments:

Post a Comment