Balcony View

Balcony View
This ain't Alabama

Sunday, May 16, 2010

When I'm 64

Lena Horne died last week, and Sunday Morning ran an interview she did when she was 64.  She had lost her husband of many years, along with her dad, when she was about the age I am now.  Of course the question was asked "will you marry again?".  Her response was much like mine would be now - I'm spoiled, I am set in my ways and don't want to have to change, and I wouldn't want to inflict that on anyone.  Fact is, I can't imagine having someone around all the time infringing on my life and what I want to do.  It's a headache.  Not to mention heartache if you let it get to you.

More than one person made a comment about me going to the big city and finding a man.  Okay, there are times that I think it would be nice to have someone around now and then, mainly to go to dinner with or a movie or share a thought or two.  It concerns me, however, that some of my friends and family feel that I need someone to...what, complete me? take care of me? keep me from being lonely? to inflict my weirdness upon??

Certainly there are thousands upon thousands of single, straight, middle-aged men in a city like this - heck there were at least hundreds in Huntsville.  That doesn't make it easy to find one that you just don't want to live without.  Or that one that you don't mind living with.  Until fate drops him in my lap or at my door, I'll continue to enjoy just doing whatever I want whenever I want without checking in with anyone else.  I don't mind being the third or fifth or seventh wheel (or the oneth).  I don't mind making myself complete.  And if I'm fortunate enough to live to be 92 like Lena, and still have some part of my mind and body active, it will be okay if I'm still single and surrounded by a loving family of kids and grandkids and maybe even great grandkids and nieces and nephews and on and on.  And if, in the meantime, some guy who is able to make me even more whole and complete than I already am shows up and sticks around, what the heck?  That will be okay too.

1 comment: