Balcony View

Balcony View
This ain't Alabama

Thursday, July 22, 2010

home is where your stuff is

Given that I have 3 weeks of vacation time to burn this year, and I only had taken 3 days to this point, I took a week off work.  Of course the only thing to do was to go home for a few days.  See the family - the ones that had not recently been here - and a few friends, stop by the plant to see if they miss me, and finish clearing leftover junk from my soon-to-be-someone-else's house.

I left Chicago Saturday morning early and hit the road.  I figured if I drove down, I'd have a car in order to do whatever running around I needed without inconveniencing anyone else.  Besides, I've always loved driving.  It's a great time to have long conversations with yourself and settle whatever issues may be hanging around in the back of your mind.  And it's not a bad drive at all - pretty countryside, only a couple of cities large enough that you have to time it around rush hours, and once you hit I-65, a straight shot to Alabama so you don't have to concentrate too much on missing turns.

It was good to be back in Huntsville and to see the kids and kids-in-law, and my brothers and their families.  I delivered Gino's pizza to Seth and Christine, 312 and 90-Minute beer to Lacy and Jeff, and a Hard Rock t-shirt to Sydney, making everyone happy.  The rest have to bring their rears up here to get their own souvenirs.  I was looking forward to a good time, and possibly feeling a little sad to head back North.

It's funny how expectations can be completely off track, and once you realize it, you are shocked that you didn't see it coming.  I didn't see it coming.  Being "home" didn't feel like being home at all.  I felt disjointed and depressed.  I didn't want to see anyone outside my immediate family, didn't want to answer the same questions over and over (how's Chicago???), and certainly didn't feel like I was on vacation.  I felt like I was a visitor, which is exactly what I was.  I was in the position for the first time ever of actually "visiting" my kids.  Always, I've visited their houses and then gone home.  Or visited with them out at a restaurant or shopping, and then gone home.  This time I visited for days instead of hours, and home was 600 miles away.

I wanted to come home - to Chicago.  My heart and love are with my family, but my stuff and therefore my comfort zone, is here.  I can't say I'm going home again when I go to Alabama; I will have to say I'm going to visit.  I'll be a visitor.  I'll visit.  That awkward status of being not where you belong and not completely in control.  A guest in others' homes, in their comfort zones amidst their stuff.  People do it all the time.  I guess I'm people, too.

So, here I am, at home, feeling odd for feeling odd.  Realizing that this new and foreign landscape is where I feel most comfortable.  Not because my heart is here, but because my life is here.  And my stuff...at least for a while.

2 comments:

  1. They say that you can never go back home again. You can but it hurts some because they change things around in Alabama with out even asking you. Don't ever go past your former house again because those changes hurt even worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we'll try and keep it the same. :) just for you. love you!

    ReplyDelete