Balcony View

Balcony View
This ain't Alabama

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Saddest Fireworks I've Ever Seen

I'm just going to make this brief.  I still have trouble sorting it out in my head, but I always do have trouble reconciling these kinds of things.  It makes me sad for the whole of mankind like that big blueish guy in "Watchmen", or maybe I think of him just because it makes me blue.

We - Lacy, Jeff, myself and another friend that was in town for the weekend - walked down to the lakefront to watch fireworks on the 4th of July.  It was a little disappointing that the city wasn't having what evidently is typically a magnificent display, but Navy Pier was providing a bit of a show for the occasion.  We carried blanket and cooler (actually a bag in a bag with ice and beers) and found a spot with an open view of the sky.  And waited for dusk.

Around and behind us, also on blankets and enjoying the nice summer evening, were others waiting for the show - families, couples, kids big and small.  It was a nice atmosphere all full of anticipation.  Finally, the fireworks started, and they were wonderful!  Really nice configurations I had not witnessed before, and was awed almost as much the tiny girls behind us that squealed and clapped with each bang of scattering bits of light.  Then....then the evening was destroyed.

A horde of people that must have been waiting over by the lake, came rushing in and actually, get this, actually proceeded to just stand in front of all the families and kids and us, blocking our view completely.  Jeff, along with several people in the "blanket" crowd asked them to please just sit down.  I just don't want to go into any detail, except to say any request to sit was ignored, any mention of the small children trying to see was ignored, any attempt to reason was ignored, and finally explaining what inconsiderate assholes they were was met with only mild argument.

We left, disappointed, angry, sad.  For me, it was one of the saddest moments I've ever witnessed.  Here were grown people, even if some were not much more than mid-teens, if that, who had such complete disregard for others, such utter lack of manners, upbringing, consideration, or any sense of humanity, it was incredibly disheartening.  It doesn't matter if you know there are people (can we call them people?) like that in this world, or if you've been privy to incidents here and there, seeing it to this degree and with this much blatant apathy is a sad, sad thing.

I hate to even mention that almost all of the offenders were of a certain race and a certain gender and a certain age range, but when the stereotype is in your face, you have to recognize that it isn't entirely a stereotype.  Not at all to say it's indicative of all who are of a certain race, gender, and age, but the element is certainly out there.  And I hate to mention what I overheard, but it just has to be told.  As the discussion of whether these apathetic assholes would ever make anything of themselves past begging on the sidewalk ensued, I heard a comment that went something like "man, some people got no respect.  I thought now we got Obama in charge, this shit would be done".  Does anyone wonder why there are still those out there who would give life and soul to keep segregation a fact of life?  And have we ever seen prejudice that exceeds the prejudice exhibited in that statement?  Or the expectation that one man of half-color would be the savior of the poor, downtrodden, welfare recipient, heat-toting, rap-listening, drug dealing, child killing, lazy ass, do nothing masses?  I was raised to be accepting of all people.  Regardless.  And I've always done my best to adhere to that philosophy.  But I'm not blind to discrimination, prejudice, and bigotry on all sides of the issue.  Yes, I admit there are elements of this type in all races and in all places.  I'm just so saddened that not one person could say, hey, these kids can't see the fireworks; man, we've seen fireworks a dozen times - let's let the kids enjoy this.

Okay, not so brief.  But I cannot put into words how this experience affected me.  And I can't find a word other than sad to describe how I still, over a week later, feel.  I would feel the same sadness if it had been a mostly white, or latino, or asian, or scandinavian for God's sake, group.  Except for the reminder of the expectation of ultimate excuse to be this way made by the Obama statement.  Maybe that is what makes me saddest of all.  I want a world where people have a natural respect and regard for one another, and no matter where I live, who I am, or how hard I may try myself, it will never be a reality.

Happy fucking forth of July.

2 comments:

  1. So sad but true, it happens every where. We love all your posts, even when you vent. WE LOVE YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love you back! i'll make a weekend trip your way as soon as things settle a bit!

    ReplyDelete